Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sees drive in BIOS not in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

gearhead03

Technical User
Mar 29, 2003
US
Wife's CPU locked up last night.
A restart would not get past the boot from cd..........
ChkDsk ran about 25% and gave a "corruption error"
Installed in different machine with WinME on it as a slave.
The BIOS picks up the drive but it's not found in Windows.
Booted into DOS and the drive still can't be seen.
Any Suggestions?
I am wondering if it's a MBR issue.
I would like to get the drive running again but mostly I need to get the data off of it if possible. It has been ages since we backed this one up.

Mark A. Kale

thanks I will try that and update here!

Mark A. Kale

Okay here are the latest developments.
Installed as a slave on Windows XP PC.
Windows sees the drive but when clicked on in Windows Explorer it claims that the drive isn't formatted.

Making a boot disk with the program from above gives a
"Scanning Folder Please Wait" message that has been on there for 15 - 20 minutes.

Mark A. Kale

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing so many difficulties. I've never seen the message you listed from NTFS Reader, but then again I only used it on undamaged drives.

When Windows claims a drive isn't formatted it is almost always time to start thinking of a data recovery application. I, and other forum members, have had good success with GetDataBack Be aware there are two versions, one for FAT and the other for NTFS.

I am running R-studio now.
Getting lots of unexpected MFT record.........errors
and read disk failed....

Mark A. Kale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back