Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking some help - HP9000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

orauxpro

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
SA
Hello

i am curently using HP-UX9000-800, VER 11.
1. can anybody tell me how can i see the physical hard-disks on my machine, and if they are used or not, and how can mount them use them.

2. how can i mount the cd-rom.

3. how can i extend the volume on that hard-disk

4. how much physical RAM do i have, used, and free.

5. most of my users loged onto remote thru IP not thru an account using the sisco router, how can i know the number of users loged in,(i tried netstat -a|grep '192.168.3')

6. how can i install the email, and make an intranet, or make my server work as proxy server.

7. how can i configure the outlook expres to work with HP-UX.

thanks guys.

Hi orauxpro,

1) To see the physical disks on the machine use
#ioscan -kfnC disk
your CD/DVD player will be included in this list.
To check if they belong to a volume group, for each volume group
#vgdisplay -v vgname | grep "PV Name"
Then match ioscan listing against disks from vgdisplays, but don't forget to take into account any disks used raw by database

2)You will get the device path for the CDROM from the previous command, then
#mount /devicepath /cdrom
and unmount using
#umount /cdrom
It's a different procedure for Rockridge format CD's such as Oracle. These use PFS, I have explained how to mount these in a previous posting.

3)I am not sure whether you wanted to extend the volume group, or extend a logical volume, but most LVM tasks are easiest whilst using SAM(System Administration Manager).

4)The amount of Physical RAM is written to dmesg when the system is booted. Just type dmesg at the command line.

5)#who -u

6+7) You'll have to be more exact about what you want.

Hope some of this helps
Regards
Queenie

Hi
Your best way to to what logical drives you have is to go through sam .
1. Look under Disks and File Systems - Disk Devices this will show all configuration.Or it can be viewed by using the following ioscan -kfnC disk

2.ioscan -kfnC disk will display the CDRom Name as will looking again in sam.

3.This can be changed through SAM.

4.to view physical memory you can do this at boot up or run top and this will tell you how much is there.

5.You can see who is logged on by using the command 'who'.

6.You would be advised to look on hp web site.

7.You would be advised to look on hp web site.
Regards
simon
Simon Peter Wickham
Email: s.wickham@zoom.co.uk

thank you guys for help, i used who command but its not working, anyway, thanks for great help

The who command is not working? That doesn't sound right, try it again:

[tt]who[/tt] Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

I agree with Mike, there's no reason who shouldn't work, the only thing that i can think of is that your PATH has become corrupted, but other commands wouldn't work either. The command #finger, should also tell you who is logged on.

Queenie

thanks gues for the respond, thanks mike unixqueen, i know how to use who command, the who command is used just for the users who has a user name, and password, and we have oracle server on hp-ux9000, those users loged using sisco router directly to oracle, they use thier ip address, not a user name, so i checked the ip-address over the unix but the information i get is not current, i need to refresh the status of the network (i want the netstat -a |grep "the ip address" as current status.

thanks again guys, i appriciate ur followup.

p.s (how can i configure or use the hp-ux as an email server to store the email messages as used in sco-ux mail server) thanks.

oraux

orauxpro,

It's much easier to use Oracle Enterprise Manager to look at connections to the database.

Also - you didn't mention, until just now, that these were *Oracle* users..... <smile> that would have helped as well. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back