Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking Server Advice !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbosgold

Vendor
Dec 4, 2003
US
A good friend of mine is going to buy a server because he feels that will give him better control all over the internet. He wants to know if I will join him on this process. I am not familiar with the abilities or the actual function of what a server does, and is. Can someone give me advice for me to better understand the working capability of a server ?

gavin sams
httpL//ld.net/?consult2win

A server is software running on a computer that serves up information or services to other computers. For example, you can serve web pages, files, printers, e-mail, games, etc. Windows 2000 server will allow you to serve web pages, files, and printers, among other things. It will also allow you to create a domain, where the computers in the domain can be managed from a central location (ie. from the server).

Any computer can be a server, you just have to have the right software running on it. For example, you can turn your machine into a web server by installing web server software (like Apache, which is free). If I were you, I'd find out exactly what it is your friend is wanting to spend your money to do.

I have to wonder what type of control your friend thinks he will be gaining.

Having your own server is an essential part of most businesses, but with regard to the Internet I have to wonder what he hopes to accomplish. Is he looking to implement a firewall/proxy or does he hope to host his own web sites? You don't say what the real goal is, so that is where you should begin.

Identify what the need is first, then see what it takes to get there. For instance, if you want to host your own web site(s) you will not only need a server, but you will also require static IP addressses and decent bandwidth to support your anticipated traffic.

If you do decide to go with a server, your next big decision is going to be what OS to use. While Linux is free, it is not that easy to manage if you are a novice. You will most likely decide to go with Microsoft Windows. I'd suggest you go with Windows 2003 to minimize your costs and prolong the life of your server software. Win2K3 also comes with a free web server, so no additional costs would be needed there.

Hi there

Have to agree with Markdmac, just getting a server will not give you better control of the internet. It will allow you to better control access to shared resorces and files within your network if you have say more than 5 workstations. For less than that I wouldnt bother.
As for Internet control, if what you mean is you want to set up a web server to host your own site, unless your proposed site is going to have some back end application, I.E. realtime accounts/Stock I would just use an ISP for a few pounds a year to host a few pretty pages about your organisation. This can be updated about as easily as any other file on your computer. Just need internet access, dialup or ADSL, etc.
Regards ACO

I'm looking for the best resources that would enable me to operate an online function. That could be anywhere from a from a webhost to appointment settings, to a newsletter. The partner wants to take a service offline, while I wish for a service online. The only service that I can offer right now is in the cellphone industry, which takes alot of advertising just to gain a minimum. What better services would be most effective with a server ? How I understand it so far is everthing is more professional, with better chances of automation. I currently use a windows office xp home edition. Doesn't that come with the windows 2000 server ? Thanks for all of your informative replies !

Gavin Sams

To my knowledge Office XP (Not one of my strong areas) does not come with server software. THis is usually pretty pricey stuff about £560 just for the server software.

Unless you have a specfic need to connect to back end systems, I still think a ISP Host would be better for you as you will not have to learn anything other than loading/unloading webpages.

You will still be able to update as regularly as you like.
XP Office will let you create pages ready to post on the web. THis could be done in MS Word, MS Publiher, etc. Microsoft hosts a free and busy time service you can share via .NET passports if you use Office XP.

you may find this helpful;

Windows XP comes with a free web server and your Office XP has the ability (in Word) to create and save web pages, though I'd suggest you get a copy of Frontpage as it is mor robust. I've been testing Frontpage 2003 since Alpha code and it is wonderful!

You guy are very helpful, here's a problem you may can help me with. My website is not displaying banners as it should. All pop-up blockers are off as they should be. The banners on my website will display on the weekends, but will not display thru the week ! I know that somewhere in my files I have set business hours of operation for my domain, but I don't know where to look....Suggesstions please !? I am assuming that that file has taken control of my domain status, therefore affecting my browser abilities.

Gavin @

The problem listed above has been solved. The ad blocker was still active in the firewall port. In turn, that effected my banner displays limiting my advertisements. All is taken care of, thanks again fella's !

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back