Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking reformatting procedural info before dumping ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelleyot

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
US
Hi folks,
I hate ME!(I wish this were an issue of self-esteem, but it ain't). I've had to reformat 3 times already (with brand tech support), and am now on my own because my support contract has expired, and 4-5 charged hours total on the phone to get it done isn't an option. Can someone suggest any good, thorough and clear reference(s) on the reformatting procedure, which would also include a debugging command while the system is basically empty? I'm interested in this debugging thing b/c tech. support overlooked talking me thorugh that the first and second times, and a virus persisted/crashed me once more. Thank goodness for tech. #3. Anyway, ME is not a helper in life...I'm considering XP or 2000. Thank you for freely giving of your time and knowledge! Fear Not

Please give your system specifications, i.e. processor speed, amount of RAM installed, type of video card etc... This will help determine if your system is even capable of running certain operating systems. I'd rather get this information from you before giving you step-by-step instructions on the FDISK menu and formatting the hard drive.

Hello, LoadedMind and thank you for responding.
I have a Dell Dimension 4100 series w/Pent.III @ 933 MHz
256 MB SDRAM @133MHz
40 GB Ultra ATA HD @7200 RPM
Video card (I hope this is correct) 32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 4X AGP Graphics Card came with. However, I had to download a driver compatable with a certain game (SpongeBob Squarepants...I like it more than my dtr.), so I'm not sure if that matters.
My primary goal for this computer is to make movies and do cool pictures...just like Everyman.
Have I left anything out? Thank you! Fear Not

Hi,

Not sure if you want to hear this or not but I have a FAQ that I have learned from Dell Tech Support as I have re-installed Windows ME 11 times in one year. I learned how to do everything by about the third time. So here is what they told me. DOESN'T HAVE DEBUG INFO THOUGH. FAQ748-1599

Also are you sure your tech support has run out. I have nearly the same computer as you and yours is newer then mine, and I still get tech-support. How did you contact them? What number did you use? I use 1-800-847-4096.

Hope this helps you out a bit! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Thank you for the info, Spyderix. I'll have to check back about my service timeframe, but one rep. told be my contract was for a year (this after trying to log onto web support as usual and my machine was no longer recognized). I'll look into it. For now, I appreciate your and Loaded Mind's assistance and look forward to LoadedMind's input. I want to be able to format...in an independent and thorough manner.
I definately want to have Debugging info., because not doing this caused 2 subsequent crashes with a complimentary case of acute delirium (I'm not kidding. By 3AM on the phone with support, I couldn't hear properly and had episodes of inappropriate laughter). Enough talk about that...
Thank you's again go out to you and LoadedMind. You guys both have a good day!

Fear Not

I am indeed out of timeline for my service. I purchased my machine in June of 2000 with support for 2 years (I apololgize for the confusing reference between the free year of ISP and the 2 year ser. contract). Are there any solid references for debugging the hard drive that anyone might recommend? Thank you! Fear Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back