Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeing who is logged on at a given time

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabowles

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
US
Hi,
I have a database which is multiuser and has about 24 clients that access it each day. However, managment doesn't want the database to require users to log in with a password, so, everyone logs in as Admin. Is there any programs, free or cost, that will tell me what computers are logged into the database at the time of query?

Thanks,
David Bowles

David,
You can use a free utility available through FMS inc called Jet4Admin. I've attached the website link. You will have to make sure that each persons machine has an identifiable computer name in the "Network Neighborhood". Hope this helps. Andy

" ... managment doesn't want the database to require users to log in with a password ... ""

Past time to start the "dialog" with management. If the information in your db is worth the cost/effort of maintaining, then it is worth the effort of a simple login.

Ask "the BOSS" what the cost of loseing the date would be to the company -and his position within the company- and to balance that with the cost od a simple log in.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

I've only done this in NT4, but there is a way to grab the user's network login ID and use it within your application for security, file and function access, event tracking, and other purposes. That saves the end users from logging in twice, but still captures some useful security data.

However, the ".ldb" files that show who has a file open and a record locked will still list the machine names, not the user login names, so capturing login id's will not help determine who has an ".mdb" file open.

Have a look at thread181-7646 - it got 5 stars and should do the trick.

Regards, Gion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back