Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securtiy help for web forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherryKissies

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
I have a private web forum.. A certain person got mad over something someone said and left. he has since started his own forum, but is linking, and having others take things from my site..Pictures etc..Is there a program or script that I can use that will stop the linking..also I want to add a no right click and other security features... Can anyone help???

Thank you,

Hi -

It depends on which forum software you're using. Most forum suites have different levels of security/bans to accomplish what you're looking to do.

For example, I'm an admin for a forum (using Invision Power Board 2.0.3) where you must register before you can enter/see any topics, posts, etc.... We have it set up where each registration must be validated by an admin. Using this setting (in your admin config) external sites can link to topics, pictures, etc... all they want, but each time they attempt to enter, it drops them off at the login screen. In your case, each image they're trying to link from your site would show as a broken image.

I suggest you go through your admin controls for your particular suite. You may be able to accomplish your goal by setting up IP bans, link/external reference bans, no index/spiders allowed, no guest viewing or things like that. I haven't seen the "do not allow right click" as an admin-config option within my suite, but I know there are many custom scripts out there that can do it. If your forum allows you to edit the code, I'm sure you could get it in there. However, keep in mind - if you're dealing with security folks they probably know the work-around from the "no right click" as it's pretty easy to bypass.

I'm sure the tools are there - sometimes it can be a challenge finding them in the config area. I know we have about 10 million settings available -- and I'm using about 19 of them. :)

Good Luck.

Please don't think that disabling the right click is some sort of security measure.. it isn't, it is just an annoyance to your real users.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back