Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Recently our organization went through large scale layoffs in the midst of economic hardships. During this time we got rid of one of our Access developers and we have had a few problems.

One of the problems.
We can not access the database to add users or security. We were not able to find or former employees username and password. This user was the only person who could make changes to the database. I am wondering if there is a way to bypass security or is there anything I can do to get in now.

Any help would be beneficial.

It has been my experience that if you don't know the passwords to get into a data base, you won't be able to get in at all. I hope you don't have anything real important in there because it is lost to you. My suggestion would be to contact the Access developer and ask him/her for the passwords. A professional will provide you with that information. Otherwise, I'm sorry.

In the Microsoft faq, I believe there is an article about getting into the db with code.... You might want to check that out. There is a link to it in the Access General FAQ section.

HTH Holy tek-tips batman!:-0

I have a feeling that this person would not give us the password. When she left it was on very bad terms and I don't think she would treat this in a professional manner.

So would my last resort be to contact a Microsoft tech to break in and grant us access to this system.

Do you know if that is my last hope?

Im keeping my fingers crossed here.
Thanks

Try creating a shortcut and putting the following into the target:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" "C:\YourDatabaseDirectory\YourDatabase.mdb" /decompile "C:\YourDatabaseDirectory\YourSecurityFile.mdw"

Replacing the placeholders as necessary.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but at least it is a chance...

There are tools that can be bought to crack the passwords (not the logins, as far as I have heard). They have a demo that you can download that will get you the first three letters of the password for free, but you have to pay for the rest. I don't know the name of the company or software, so try doing a search of the net for "access passwords".

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

muttley,

I tried this but it had problems because all we have is the mde. We cant find the mdb to which was probably on the developers hard drive. That computer is no longer with us either.

Does anyone know how to crack user level passwords in a MDE?

If I can do this then everything will be fine and dandy.
Waiting on your response.
Thanks

I was able to track down the PC and found the MDB.

How do I go about reseting security so we have an admin who remembers their password?

Any help would be great!

try this :
InstaPass Pro* Recovers Access database file password which you may have forgotten From Access 95/97/2000 Databases

url :
cost 35$ us

trial version for file up to 150k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back