Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirst4Knowledge2004

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
How do I turn off auxiliary services such as FTP server, telnet, and web server? From a security standpoint, if we have an NT server and a couple handfulls of workstations that have access to the server, would I go to every machine and turn off these services that are not in use?

If the computer with NT installed on it is never used to connect to the Internet, should we be still constantly going to the Microsoft's web-site to download the latest patches?

Thank you very much for any responses. I am a novice so pleae respond in layman's terms. Feel free to add in any additional tips! tek-tips.com is great!

I don't think ftp server, telnet (presume you mean to allow telnetting into a machine) and web server (IIS?) will be running on NT workstation, unless somebody has specifically installed these services. In which case, open control panel, open the services icon and disable said services.

If NT machine is not connected to internet, I'd see no advantage in getting all the patches - but I think I would if its connected, but connection is 'never' used.

You can safely unistall these services if they have been installed - look at add remove programs, and also under the network services (network nebourhood - Properties)

It would be recommended to install the CRITICAL patches from Microsoft as these address security issues as well as other's, however, If there are no external communications to any computers within your network and you are not using CD's or floppy disks from any sources outside your network then you might be ok.

The Critical patches can be downloaded and saved to Disk and then used on all your systems without the need to access windows update from every computer.

Hope this helps explain things a little better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back