Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbunch

Programmer
Sep 5, 2006
US
I have set up Users in my MsAccess Security and PIN but where and how do I set up their passwords. I am the admin.

I choose tools, security, user and group accounts - I select the username and click Change Logon Password and tab to bypass Old Password and type the password in but I get an error that the old password is not correct.

It's a Catch-22. For this to work, you must logon as that user. But Access by default always logs on as Admin. So (without using vba code) you need to create a shortcut that logs on as the user you want to change. The Target of the shortcut should be:

"C:\program files blah, blah\office\blah\msaccess.exe" /user "someuser"

DON'T try to use the ridiculous 'fake shortcuts' that most new versions of Access put on the Start\programs bar for Win XP. These are fake shortcuts, you can't edit them. You need to go into the c:\progra--blah blah whatever\ location where access is and create a shortcut manually to msaccess.exe

Then this opens access logged on as that user (with the default blank password) and you can now change the password.

The next time you click that shortcut, it will prompt you for the password.
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back