Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security - User Login Box If Used On A Network Drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps32208

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
EU
I have set up a couple of different user accounts with varying levels of security to my db. So the login box appears on startup and works fine when I open the db from my pc, but if i save it to the network drive the login box does not appear and anyone can access.

I believe this is related to the workgroup information file but have not had any success in sorting the problem.

What do I have to do so that the login box appears and therefore my security is active on the db when the db is saved and run from a network drive?

Many thanks,
Pete.

Hi Pete,
Not sure how much you have done so far from your post, or which version you're on (though the principles are pretty much the same across most versions, there are some differences), to start I'd recommend reading
and

Basically, you need to create a new workgroup information file (wif) on the network, create the db and set up its security while joined to that wif, rejoin to the default (system) wif, then set up a shortcut for users to join to your new wif just for the session when they are using that db. There's a lot more to it than that, but read the links above and it will start to come clear.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

PS - Just seen that PHV got in before me - still worth reading Jack MacDonald's paper, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back