Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security support book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superd04

Technical User
Aug 9, 2005
FR
hi guys, ive started a position with a company providing all areas of security- firewalls etc. and am pretty new to the whole security game.. so i am wondering can anyone advise of a good book that gives a good general overview of the whole security industry? cheers guys :)

Have a look at the Security+ Study guide from Sybex. It gives a pretty good overview.

Nick

I would say anything in the "Hacking Exposed" line. Also look at places like:

Comes out with 64 pages of books. Depending on what applications you want to ensure are secured, what OS's you'll be dealing with, and what the current security stance is, will really help more than a single book. An overview of security is okay, but getting into it is a different story. I'm Security + certified, but when I moved over to our security team, there were a lot of things that really threw me for a loop. Is there any type of documentation there now as to how your security team is going to run, or what the goals are?

Hacking exposed is a nice introduction and will allow you to pursue your study in many interesting directions and will set a good foundation while introducing you to the online communities, vendors, etc. You cant forget to brush up on some of the old classics though....Applied Cryptology is a great book taken in small doses. Even better, in my opinion, is the ultimate classic, The Codebreakers (tough to find a copy at the bookstore though.)
Check this link out..

I guarantee that it wont let you down.

O'Reilly. Any and All of their Sysadmin, Netadmin, and Security books.
Some of them are even put into CD libraries.

Hacking Exposed series is excellent, make sure you get all of them.
Hack Attacks Revealed are good as well.

that and google.

Robert Liebsch
Systems Psychologist,
Network Sociologist,
Security Pathologist,
User Therapist.

I've been looking at another one lately which I think is worth adding to this collection.

The first section relates to the legal issues relating to security testing. Whilst written within the context of
US law, food for thought for anybody involved in this can be obtained regardless of geographical location.
There are chapters about automating security testing, exploiting known holes to your advantage with exammples for
Windows and Linux platforms, analysing the holes, reverse engineering and closing them.
All in, a useful reference book for anybody looking to take their IT security skills to the next level beyond the
Hacking Exposed series.

Details:

Title: Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hackers Handbook
Authors: Shon Harris, Allen Harper, Chris Eagle, Jonathan Ness and Michael Lester
Publisher: Osborne McGraw-Hill 2005
ISBN: 0-07-225709-1
Price: USD $49.99 / CDN $72.95 / GBP £29.99

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back