Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security ??'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

tps131

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I have never used any security features in Access and I have a program that I am developing that requires admin access and user level access. I used the built in security wizard and it was useless for what I need to be done..Basic overview is I have a table with all the users info (i.e.Name, phone, security level, etc) and I have an opening screen that gives users options for user applications or admin applications and I want to have a form that prompts for the user to select a name and enter password click a button, then if user is authorized to enter open the appropriate forms. Is this difficult? If so any location of some sample code I havent used Access in years and have gotten myself a little deeper in this project than I would have liked..Any Input would be helpful
Thanks

The simplest way would be to have a table which holds the user accounts which gets checked when they try to login. Upon a successful login the security level can be written from this table to a global variable. You can then refer to this in forms and hide/disable anything a standard user shouldn't be doing. Make sense? Can provide code if necessary.

Tom
emo_big_smile.gif

Yeah that does make sense, I have been working on it this morning and came up with a way to disable the buttons with a password that would be supplied to the admins and users, but that still doesnt prompt the user for their names or individual passwords. Is the code complicated?

With the built in security features you can limit or grant access to any Access objects in the database. When a user opens the database, they are presented with a login screen asking for user name and password.

Best regards,

Henry

Henry,How can you link that feature to an existing table with user information?

Access uses a default workgroup file called SYSTEM.MDW. You have to create a new one and add your users. Once you join the workgroup and create a database, Access will use the .mdw file to identify users. Then you set up permissions with the wizard. I put this in a folder on our network that no one but me can delete. I then put a shortcut on the users' desktops that point to the .mdw file. This allows them to automatically join the workgroup when they open the database and leave it when they close. That way, they can make their own database based on SYSTEM.MDW. It sound pretty complicated but it's not to tough. Hey, I'm a graphic designer and I did it ;)

That would come in handy once this is distributed outside, how do you create a MDW file?
Thanks

You can find out more than I could possibly tell you by searching "workgroup" in help. Plenty of info in the FAQ section of this forum as well.

My installation of Access 2000 puts the workgroup administrator in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\WRKGADM.EXE. It's somewhere else in 97 so who knows where you would find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back