Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryreeve

Vendor
Jan 16, 2002
US
I was setting up a new database to use security, I was able to log into the database on any of the users/passwords that I had set up. after several days of using the secure database access will no longer allow me to log in using the passwords I set up originally, neither admin nor any of the new usernames. I could live with this since I was just starting a new database and really wouldn't lose anything but access will not allow me to log onto any of the databases that I am using here. I cannot even create a new database without being prompted for username and password.

the oddball kicker is that I can go to the other databases on other computers in the office and use them even though my computer will not let me log in.

I also downloaded the access key and vba key demo programs and they can see the databases but report no password security enables.

any idea on what I managed to screw up and how to correct it?

do I need to dump access off of my PC and reload it?

----------------------------
'Rule 29', "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

G'day,

copy the system.mdw from a "working" machine to your own and that will hopefully sort it. if not, perhaps you've created/joined a new mdw file. Look to "join another workgroup" and use that to browse back to unsecured .mdw file

JB

I'll try that thanks.

JerryReeve
com-sys.com

I've inherited a database wirth securities set up on it and its a handfull to administer. Like JBinQLD said copy the "security.mdw" from a working computer. I have the security.mdw in the same file location that the database resides. My people can't access the database directly either. I've made a shortcut that points to the specific security.mdw.

Here is the target for the shorcut:
Target:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\FileLocation\YourDB.mdb" /WRKGRP "\\FileLocation\Security.mdw"

Start In:
\\FileLocation\

** The location of your MSACCESS.EXE my differ from mine depending on the version your running. I'm running Access 2000

Hope this helps.

Bill

jbinqld:

that did it and got me going again. thanks you are just starting spring down under right?

I am also going to ask (on a new thread on the Microsoft: Access Project (ADP)) to get someone to explain the Me. portion of the programming. I mean I can see what it does but what limits are on it? maybe see you there.

JerryReeve
com-sys.com

sorry that will be on the
Microsoft: Access Modules (VBA Coding)
forum