Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security patch advertisment leaving directories on clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmsc63

Technical User
Aug 19, 2004
US
We recently ran the distribute security software wizard and updated our package and advertisement to run the latest patches. On most clients the update is ending with no errors but is not installing the patches it is only leaving funky directories on c: for each update. Can't delete the directories without taking ownership. What did we do wrong in the wizard? Thanks.

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. Does anyone have any input on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bump.

I am still having this problem. If someone has some info, I would be semi-eternally grateful.

- Just a guess here...

This sounds like a misconfigured security update. You need to make sure that you review the MS Technet articles relating to each patch. Typically, you will want to install the patch with several switches.

For example, if you are installing multiple patches at the same time, you will want to make sure that you install each patch without a reboot. In addition, you would also want to apply the pathes hidden with no user interaction...

For example:
/passive /quiet /norestart

Each security update will have to be reviewed because the switches are not standard...so be sure to review the technet article related to each individual patch.

I suspect that you have a misconfigured switch. This is probably causing the patch to unpack itself but not install properly. It is very important to test you SUS packages on test machines before rolling them out to your environment.

-late

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back