Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security / .MDE / Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMeek

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
US
I have a Microsoft Access Program that we distribute quarterly to our clients. In the past I have set security very tight and only allowed minimal rights to the users and compiled the file into an .mde file. Now I need to allow the users to export a file of contacts they wish to follow up with ion the next quarter's release. That means I'll need to import the file into the next quarter's file.

I have coded a point and click button to export the file and another one to import the same file, run a query to update the flags and comments from the last quarter file into this quarter's database. I tested this without setting the security like I did in the past and without compiling the code into an .mde file.

My question is:
Does anyone know if this code will work with run/read rights set during security and with the file set as an .mde file? Bryan Meek
bmeek@adelphia.net

The main thing to do here is to make sure the user's have rights to run the queries - especially the update queries. You can do this by assigning the appropriate authority at the table level (update data). The only things that the .mde file does for you is lock out your code and prevent and design changes to anything except tables and queries (ensure the shift key bypass is disabled). Other than that, if the appropriate permissions are applied to the affected objects, your users should not have any trouble. I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Lee

Lee,
Thanks for the suggestion, however I did set the user rights for update data under tables and queries and I get the following results:

In attempt to view export file as a spreadsheet:
You do not have permissions for viewing 'MsysTables'...

In attempt to export the file using TransferSpreadsheet method:
Execution of this application has stopped due to a runtime error. The application can't continue and will shut down.

I created this program using Access 2002 with Office XP Developer with the latest updates installed. I am now attempting to re-create the application using Access 2000 and Office 2000 Developer, building the application on a Win98 PC. (Previously this is how we created the file to make it as compatible as possible with the majority of PC setups our clients use)

I don't hold much hope for better results, but we will see in about an hour. Bryan Meek
bmeek@adelphia.net

You might want to try capturing the data in a query, and then exporting the data from this query. This allows you to give the user permissions on the query without giving them permissions on the table itself. I'm not certain this will solve your problem, but it should help.

As far as using an mde, I agree with Lee. It should make no difference. I recently shipped an app that I had compiled into an mde. It includes forms that handle importing and exporting data from and to spreadsheets. However, I didn't lock things down by user.

Thanks for the response! I tested the program using Office 2000 and packaging the program on a Win 98 PC and had the same error messages.

I had to dial back some of the security bypassing the Security Wizard but maintaining an alias "SuperAdmin" as the owner of the entire database and all the objects and allowing the "Admin" default user only user's rights.

Once I did that, I was able export and import the data using the code behind my forms with out getting the eror messages. I will have to continue testing to see just how secure my database program is without going through the Security Wizard, but at least I can get the next qyarter's program compiled and sent while I continue my testing. I will also go back and test the deplaoyment using my WinXP and OfficeXP developer platform.

Thanks for your support! Bryan Meek
bmeek@adelphia.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back