Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Key Not Found in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySpider

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2005
US
I am not currently having a problem with this issue, but I have seen it a few times and figured I would see if anyone else has run into it.

Combining older security keys with Windows XP (Home or Pro) would result in the Aloha Back of House's inability to "see" the software key. For example, a customer is forced to upgrade the file server, but the software key is 4.2xx or in some cases 5.0xx. I have seen this 3 or for 4 times, and the work around I had employed in this situation was simply to use Windows 2000 instead. I don't think I have ever seen the problem with 2k, and most customers don't give a rats booty what OS you put on it, as long as it works.. so it's not a huge deal.

In the instances where I did see it happen, the hardware used for the file server was always different. The only common elements among the installations was the keys were a few years old (I say 3 years or more). And I have had no issues with XP and newer keys.

Just curious.

Later!

Well, I more or less assumed it has to be an issue with the OS. Let me be a little more clear here. When I say we upgrade the file server, I am only talking about the hardware and OS. The software and key were the exact same that have been working together for years, usually on NT 4.0. Moving the exact same key and the Aloha software it was rated for, over to XP box would then produce the "security key not found" on boot up. I don't know if there was an AKB for this or not, but I could totally see if being some kind of conflict between the HASP version and XP... in which case I think you are pretty much screwed and can't use that key with XP.

Here's your issue:

Windows Me and Windows 2000 require Aloha application software versions 5.017 or higher.

Windows XP requires Aloha application software versions 5.211 or higher.

Windows Server 2003 requires Aloha application software
versions 5.2.7.105 and higher.

Good to know what versions of Aloha are compatible with certain versions of OS. Thanks. However, I must say, I do have a couple of sites running 4.2xx on Win2k without issues. Maybe I got lucky, but I will certainly keep that in mind for next time. Just out of curiosity, Aloha1, what do you formally think the issue is? A change in the OS from 2k to XP?

Well it depends. How many terminals are at this site? What are the OS of all terminals? I have seen standalone terminals (front of house/back of house on same terminal) able to use older aloha versions (4.0xx, etc) on Win2k, WinXp, etc. But if its a fully networked site, technically it should not recognize the HASP Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back