Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettr1234

Technical User
Jun 2, 2002
CA
I have 2 questions, How can i restrict a user to their home directory. I know about rbash but i dont particulary like it. Any other ways?

2. How can i disable a user from logging in over SSH but not over FTP

Thanks,
Brett

The second one is easy. Set their default login to "/dev/null".

The first one is kinda tough. How much do you want the user to be able to do?

For first one I want the user to be able to do pretty much everythiong he can normaly do except i dont want him to be able to leave his home directory. As for the /dev/null I have edited the /etc/passwd file and set it to /dev/null but the user cant login to the FTP

Oops, Sorry about that. I tested my answer before I posted. Created a user "foo" with password "bar" and set default shell to "/dev/null"

I'm using proFTPd as my FTP server, and I have SQL athentication turned on. Want to guess what leftover userid/password I had in my database?

Waitaminnit. I just realized that my configuration can be one solution.

I am also using proftpd as my ftp server dont think i have SQL authentication, what is that?

Rather than proFTPd authenticating against /etc/passwd, it authenticates users against data stored in a MySQL database table.

Support for mod_sql comes with proFTPd, but is not compiled in by default.

I am using the debian version of proftpd, i suppose i will have to downlaod and compile proftpd. Will the passwords in the database use MD5 encryption?

Set the users shell in /etc/passwd to /bin/false and edit the /etc/shells file to include /bin/false. This will disallow SSH logins (as well as all other logins), but they will still be able to connect to the FTP server.

foobar:x:518:519::/home/foobar:/bin/false

ChrisP ---------------------------------------
If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back