Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security issues (IntERnet vs. IntRAnet) for Crystal RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craino

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
US
I've been doing a lot of snooping around and haven't seen anyone answer this question yet. This is an issue we've been having some issues with and would love everyone's input on.

We have installed the Crystal RAS on our Intanet. We are a MS environment, running RAS on IIS.

We can access our reports fine from our Intranet, but can't get at them when accessing our Intranet from outside the company. We give access to our Intranet via a secure connection and NT login.

We've played around with the different authentication types on IIS for both Intranet and Internet access: Basic vs. NT challenge/response vs. anonymous.

No matter what we do, we are running up against various issues for the Internet access. My developer is a consultant who has worked other places that have had issues connecting Crystal reporting up to Internet access.

Has anyone out there resolved this issue and can offer us some pointers?

Hi,
By
'but can't get at them when accessing our Intranet from outside the company.'
do you mean that the
page(s) will not display, that you get an 'access denied' error, or that the reports do not return data?

[profile]

Turkbear - it's an access denied type of error.

isn't that a IIS setting on the web page / site. then authentication needs to be checked.
if you can see the pages from within the firewall( assume) and not from outside the firewall then this could be a security issue on the firewall.

cna you give a brief out line of the setup.

RAT

Jeez - I've got a rat and a bear replying to me. Better not slip up... I'm not the developer here but the manager so go easy on me!

The security for inside the firewall, our Intranet, is set to Anonymous. Our thinking here is the person has already logged in with their NT user/password, plus my developer tells me the NT challenge/response authorization never seems to work. The anonymous login is give admin privileges so it can get in.

From outside our firewall, you hit a different "site" on IIS. This one currently is set to Basic authentication - which as we understand it is supposed to pick up the NT login credentials the user entered in when signing in to the secure site.

We also thought for a while that it might be permission on some Crystal folders that were causing the error, but we have Domain Users and Everyone with good permissions in both the CR Repository folder and the Reports folder, both for sharing and security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back