Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security in SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armani

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2002
AR
hello!
i have w2k server with sql2000 and all nt users are in it. i need to login in each machine in sql server with SQL autentication, but sql 2000 only permit ¨NT¨ or ¨Mixed¨, can i change this? i have created the users in my sql (but don´t domain users) and when i run any VB app that uses the ODBC conn uses the NT auth and the app run correctly, but i need to login in SQL with the SQL user and SQL password, not nt.

Thanks a lot!

Mixed means NT and SQL Authentication. Use Mixed mode if you want to enable SQL Authentication. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

if i use mixed mode the sql uses first the nt accounts, i need to use the sql account.

I don't understand what you mean. If your application uses SQL Authentication (Non Trusted Connection) and SQL Server is configured for Mixed mode, SQL Authentication will work. You cannot turn off NT Authentication. Just don't grant access to NT logins. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

maybe some more detail would help. Are you trying to log in on a client machine and want to use the Sa account or something like that? Are you trying to log in from a user interface or query analyzer or Enterprise manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back