Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security in FM or Report Studio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPCogAdmin

Programmer
May 22, 2006
US
Hi everyone,

First, thank you for reading my message. I know you've taken time out of your busy day at work to answer my question.

Q: How can I create a report in Report Studio that will display "Query Subject" columns based on user's security role?

Example:

If I have a report that display 5 fields, lets call them:
A1
A2
A3
A4
A5

So when a user that belongs to a security role called: Manager logs in and runs the report all the columns A1-A5 are displayed.

When a user that belongs to a security role called: Employee logs in and runs the report they see columns: A1, A3 and A5 only.

Based on my experience, not much, I would suspect this to be very challenging in cognos so when you see this question and believe you can help please drop me a message here on how this can be done.

Thanks in advance.

JP

I think I would go for security objects in Framework manager for this one.

So manager can see all the fields, when Employees will be allowed to see only some of them.

I guess you are a supported Cognos Customer.
Go to Cognos Support Multimedia Knowledge base
Select Cognos CRN1.1 -> FrameWork Manager -> Design -> Setting Object Access Security.

You will have a very good movie, showing you what you are looking for.

Draoued,

Thanks for your reply. However, my scenario would be one in which the report will be created and the 2 groups Managers and employees will run the report to view data.

They will not be designing reports. Is this clearer? Also, my environment is Cognos 8

-JP

Draoued,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried it and that works for report designers. When a group is not given access to a subject query or query item then they will not see those fields in the Report Studio program.

However, my objective is to display or not display data based on the user role executing the report. So basically if you were the employee and you log in and execute the report you can only see 3 fields. If your manager logs in then he/she will see all the fields.

Remember, these users will only have execute persmission on the reports and not design permissions.

-JP

JPCogadmin , this is exactly how it should work.
Depending on your role the fields should not be visible , even when executing a report.

Have you created a report , and ran it from several roles ??

Yes,

I created a report and then logged in as a member of the Managers role. It ran without any problem. When I logged in as a member of the employee role I was presented with a big error message saying something to the fact that I did not have access to specific fields in the report.

Have you done it that way and not get an error?
I'm very much surprised that I get this error.

-JP

Thanks anyway Draoued,

Even though I have not found an answer yet I'm happy that at least we discussed this at length. I have yet not found an answer to this technique and hope that someone that has enough light can shed some this way.

;-)

Sincerely,

Jaime Perez

If you have Analysis Studio, and Transformer, do it in the transformer model, and run it into FMgr, then security should flow with Access Manager user classes set in the model. I guess it would work. Either way, let me know if you try it. Curious.

CP [cook]

Maybe I can help you. I did both methodes.
- FM: you can set filters and a security for each table; than the user can run the report for prefiltered datas
- ReportNet: you can burst a report (but you must prepare it in FM too)it's very difficult, and it's much work :-((

It's possible in FM.

Predefined filters:
You have to define the table, which you use in each report! in the table is an 'id', i.e. country_id. the id, you need for the filter!!! In FM you can create the filter 'business'; for filter 'manager' (country_id in ('A','B','C', 'E') ; filter 'for others' (country_id in ('A', 'B', 'E') it's important, that you use ',' not ';'!!!

table "country" with table security:
than you set the table-security, where you define, which user (mangager -> filter 'manager') is allowed to see the datas (there you can use the predefined filters!) the user must habe access to the package (also in the connection for running the report)
when you built the report, you must use the table with the security

Try it. I hope, it will function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back