Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security in cognos

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakan

MIS
Sep 18, 2003
PL
I am to implement a few PowerCubes and setup security mechanism to access them (we would consider using contractor but first we need to say if any additional software should be bought).

My client has:
Transformation Server and
PowerPlay Desktop.

Is it enough to setup Cognos-based security system? Is it enough to create cubes?
Don't I neen other piece of software? (Enterprise Server or Architect)?

That is all you need. The component for security (Access Manager) will be included with these products. Architect is a data modelling tool that builds packages for use with Cognos Query (ad hoc web reporting tool) and PowerPlay Enterprise Server is for serving up cubes over the web to many users.

To clarify:
PowerPlay Enterprise Server is not the part of the Transformer, is it?

Correct. Transformer builds cubes, PowerPlay displays the cube data locally and PowerPlay Enterprise Server displays the cubes over the web.

So having Transformer and PowerPlay desktop I can store cubes in database and connect to cubes stored centrally there. The only advantage of having Enterprise Server would be using cubes over the web. Am I right? What else functionality is missed without Enterprise server?

You can no longer store cubes in a database. Transformer creates mdc files which can be ditributed for ease of use. As for security, you can either build in a password to allow access, or go more detailed and integrate an LDAP server to feed user classes to your cube.

flex

Why can't I store cubes in database? Is it becasue of lack of Enterprise Server?

Kakan,
Like Flex13 is trying to tell you, there is "no why can't you store cubes int he database" the transformer creates an "mdc file" which contains your models..dimensions...and levels..with you can use powerplay to view this information...I dont know why oyu will want to store it back in the database when you are using this product to extract the inormation from the database..why go put it back there?...maybe I'm missing something..

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

Thanks. What happens when I want to connect to Microsoft OLAP cubes with PowerPlay? Do I need to create mdc files as well?

Kakan,
I don't know about connecting to Microsoft OLAP....I read in the documentation that it can be done never done it..but I believe alot of people here have done it...so wait for their answers..goodluck

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back