Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security, how can I disable network neighborhood from user changes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerdog

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
I am trying to stop users from changing the properties of network neighborhood. I have looked in the local policies and have had no luck. Is it somewhere in the registry?

Hi Millerdog! :)
A few questions first...

1) What operating system?
2) Is it in a Windows server network or a Peer to peer? (Are you logging into a server or just sharing files between machines.?

Brian

Brian G.
Securlon Consulting, LLC

windows 2000, and we log into a server. I know that in NT you would use NTpoledit and you can see where it says to block changing the neighborhood settings. There is a check box, but I cannot find the same on any windows 2000 computer, in any policies. It has to be there somewhere.

By the way, this is not using active directory. We have not migrated yet. They are just loaded with windows 2000.

Also, I just tried to open poledit.exe in NT and it could not find that option. Is this only a server policy. Is there a wasy to enable this option in NT. I know I can in server, because I used it yesterday. This seems to get deeper instead of easier. Thanks.

Use gpedit.msc on non domain computers. There are various settings, including disabling access
to certain settings under user configuration/administrative templates/Windows components/Internet Explorer

Here's the info at Microsoft.com on How to do that.

Q293655

Brian G.
Securlon Consulting, LLC

If you have only a few computers to deal with, you can also do this by installing TWEAKUI "powertoy" utility from Microsoft. It is not an especially powerful way to control access, but it might discourage casual, non-hacker type users from browsing the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back