Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security hole: workgroup computer can access whole domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2001
BE
I have a really scary security hole in my win2k server.
I provided access for the domain users like they need and all works fine. Users can't gain access to sources they don't require and vice versa as long as they are working on a station that is in the domain.
When working on a station that isn't in the domain, but just on the network for testing purposes and internet, users can access everything on the server, even c$ and ipc$ without being asked for a userid or a password.
The user that automatically is being logged on locally on the teststation doesn't even exists in the domain.

I even have access to the users home dir on which only for them is set read and write access...

Is there a supertrojan on my server ?? It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

Check the guest account on the server. If activated, it can do some of the things you mention.

I've done this before, connecting a client to the network without adding it to the domain, and i always had to supply the credentials to access anything in the domain.

I can access shares on which i explicitly gave access to on user only (without propagated permissions from a parent).

Well i'll check it anyway and i let you all know

Could it be a virus that gives permissions to a guest user ? It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Murphy's Laws

sounds like the everyone group have been given too much permissions

check the c$ share and see who has the rights to this "Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back