Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security - HELP - External SMTP Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2002
US
Any email experts out there that can possibly answer a question for me. I woul dlike to know if it is possible to lock down and prevent someone from telneting (or any other means) into our external mail gateways and executing smpt commands to send email to our internal addresses. The problem is that I can telnet into our external email host (via port 25) exectute commmands to spoof an address to make it seem like a legitimate email from (anyone) to anyone with a valid email address in our company. Our email expert says there is nothing that can be done - but I think there has to be some way to lock this down. We do not allow relaying - so you cannot do this and send email outboun - but the internal mail works - complete with the ability to send links that could be a potential risk.

Thanks,
Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back