Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Features in Cognos.Need input 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rav4

Technical User
Sep 20, 2001
US
Hello Team,
We are evaluating various tools such as Microstrategy,Business objects and Cognos. I would like to know about the security features available in Cognos product. Can anybody guide me to know more about it.

It has been awhile for me but last time I checked there were several layers of security. Using the catalog as the repository, you can assign passwords to individual users and grant or deny access to individual tables, views, or data elements within tables. Don't know if it is still true but Impromptu was (maybe is) known for it's flexible and powerful admin/security functionality. One word of caution, getting very fancy with the setup of access security may result in a significant amount of maintenance later. There is always a price to be paid, as they say.

Powerplay: You can protect a Powerplay Model/PowerCube by password or more granularly by member class; i.e: The National Manager can see everything, the Northeast Manager can see his region and his subordinates, the NY rep can only see his territory. You can also create views of a model based on a user class.

Rudy

The overall underlying security respository is LDAP. The users and user classes are stored there and then the user classes are applied to the various products (the user classes allow more flexibility and less overhead than individual user security). As users come in and out of the various user classes you won't need to rebuild all of your objects/reports. The security can be applied as detailed as your business requires, however there are always trade-offs when you get very detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back