Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security essentials free for business? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompom

Technical User
Dec 4, 2006
GB
Hi,

Does anyone use SE in a small business environment?
If so is it legal to do so? - there seem to be conflicting answers all over the place.
YES NO It seems if you dont need centralised management then this offers a solid client based AV solution for free.

any comments welcome

According to the license, you are allowed to use it only in a Home or Home Business, any other use would constitute a breach of the license agreement and thus would be illegal...

# INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

* Use. You may install and use any number of copies of the software on your devices in your household for use by people who reside there or for use in your home-based small business.
source:
as stated in the first link, you will have to get approval from the higher ups at MS to use it in a corporate environment...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I still don't understand why Microsoft pulled the plug on Live One Care. It worked pretty well and while it wasn't designed for businesses, now Microsoft has nothing to sell.

Who do you have for an ISP? I know some, Comcast for instance, offer a free subscription to Norton as part of your service. This is the case with both the Home and Business lines of service.

As for Microsoft pulling the plug on Live One Care. They still have a product for businesses. It is called Forefront.

This product looks pretty good. We are locked into a long contract with Sophos so for the next 3 years we will run with that. Once contract renewal is going to take place we will be looking at Forefront. I looked at their version for SharePoint as I am the SharePoint Administrator in our environment, I liked some of what I saw and if their suite is anything like the SharePoint product it is pretty neat. With this version you can leverage scan engines from multiple vendors. For instance you can tell it to randomly scan each document being uploaded to SharePoint with Sophos, Norton, AVG or others. If there was a concern you can also click a couple buttons and scan each item with all the engines.

I'm not worried about me. I used to shy away from the freebie from Comcast (Mcafee) but the Norton is a better product at least from a "not slowing you down perspective.

never heard anyone say this about Norton goombawaho !

"Norton is a better product at least from a "not slowing you down perspective

The new Norton from Comcast is nothing like older versions of Norton. I can recommend it for sure, especially for free. Don't think about older version (esp. Norton 360) when you think about the new product. Nice easy installation and good default settings.

Would it be my pick if I were paying $40 per year for it - I don't know if I would say that, but it is now NOT in the "absolutely not" category.

That's interesting to know. Norton used to be my choice many years ago.. probably 7 or 8 years ago was when I got fed up with Norton enough to quit buying and switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back