Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Equal to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoldy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2003
CA
Back in the novell days you used to be able to set a user as a security eqaul to another user.. this was handy in certain situations. Anyone know of something similar in windows 2000. Here is what I am trying to do... it is a bit complicated but here are the basics..

user1 .. normal domain user with appropriate file permissions and a standard exchange account

ts-user1 ... esentially this is the same user however this user has a strict group policy applied and is for remote application access through terminal services...

This was the only way I could find to apply a group policy to a user when he was remote and not when he was in the office.... I had to created 2 accounts.

Now here is where the problem comes... when he is remote and logged onto the terminal server ... he has no access to his mail and his files ... because he is a different user...

Besides the obvious of assigning all the same permissions and the trying to keep them in sync I was looking for this security equal to ....

hope that makes sense I look forward to the comments...

You could add his second username to the file permissions of the folder housing his files, and as far as Exchange goes, add his second acct with full rights to his mailbox. This will allow him to open his files and email.

managing the permissions using this method would be difficult... future changes would require alot of management...

yes this would work but I was looking for alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back