Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security (dbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighflo1

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
GB
When i created tables in sql they appeared in my adp project by name + (dbo). In my VBA code everytime I refered to a table I qualified it with dbo. I then distributed this to other users and everything worked fine. This was the test db.

The database was then moved to the production server and I was given by the sa the user name dbo (they said they did this by running the stored procedure sp_changedbowner). To me it looks like nothing has changed with regards to my permissions but Now when I open my adp the tables no longer have a qualifier (ie dbo) after the name and i get an error messages when it reads code such as:
me.uniquetable = "dbo.tablename" on loading the adp form. And I also can no longer enter data into new tables i create even though i am the dbo.
Other users are fine as before.

The sa says it's my problem but I think it something they have done. I use integrated Windows authentication for login.
Can anyone please help who has experience of being the sa

Thanks

On our in-house ADP, I am in the administrators group, thereby having sa/dbo rights. I do not prefix the dbo owner name on any of my database objects except UDFs which must have the dbo prefix. All users are in a group that is assigned rights over the database objects.

As an experiment, try removing the dbo prefix and see if firstly you can access the data, then if your users can.

Thanks Norris68

You are right that when i remove the dbo. form my ADP it works ok for me, but it then doesn't work for my users as they are looking for dbo. As I don't want two different ADP front ends this isn't a solution for me.

In the end I solved it by having two windows logins. One that makes me dbo so I can do admin tasks and one that just has me as a user which allows me to use the ADP.

I still don't understand really why I as dbo can't read dbo.tablename.
But I am happy with the solution.

Thanks again though

I I have the same problem - only in reverse. My system has applied dbo as a suffix to all names - sp's tables and views and I need to get rid of it Urgently! Any advice on this matter from what you have found out would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back