Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security check list 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulsekiss

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2001
IN
How do I make a security check list and what are the needed services and folder to be secured?
I am a new user to linux server

From M&T books by David Bandel:
"Linux Security Toolkit."
This is mandatory reading for new security folks in
my opinion.

All good suggestions, but here's something online that's a little more thorough. Of course, security is something that never seems to be done, so my link is no more all-encompassing than the others. This link comes from cert.org, the kinda central hub of computer security:

Also, you should take a look at:

Bastille is written by one of the contributors to securityfocus.com, another great security website. The program asks you a bunch of questions (offering great explainations about what it wants to do) and hardens your system a little.

Good luck with your endeavor,
Andre

i want to install document manager called anyportal(php) in a linux box. Kindly advise how do i go about it like the procedure which will i suppose will need installng php in my linux box, please help me

how do i configure telnet and want to telnet my linux box from my win98 machine and I am in the same lan?

Hi,

If you were using a current/recent redhat version you would install the 'telnet-server' rpm (not only 'telnet' - thats just the client s/w). After that you have to set it as not disabled under the xinetd daemon (as root) :

/sbin/chkconfig telnet on

Then you may have to configure the linux firewall (all depends on version) to allow telnet through on port 23. Again, if it were redhat 7.x, you would do (as root) the command '/usr/sbin/lokkit' and either allow telnet or set your lan interface as 'trusted'.

Once thats been done you should be able to telnet into the linux box from win98. Remember, however, that the security permissions do not allow you to login via telnet as root. You have to login as a regular user and use the 'su' command if you want to do root stuff.

If that doesn't work because you are using another linux give some more details - one of the problems is that there are variations in the way you achieve the same thing between distros so its not always easy giving definitive answers.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back