Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security - Automatic disclaimer 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuria

Technical User
Jan 26, 2000
KE
Where can I get a utility to allow me to attach a simple disclaimer message for every email that goes through the IMC. This should be done automatically for all outbound mail. To work in Exchange 5.0 and 5.5 SP2.

I am about to install the imsext.dll and set up the required registry keys etc. I am, to be honest, a little
nervous of this whole thing.

Anything I should specifically look out for, I intend doing the following (from reading different articles)

Copy Imsext.dll to \\servername\connect\msexcimc\bin

Run cmd and navigate to \\servername\connect\msexcimc\bin through cmd and execute the imsext.dll

Navigate through Regedit to HKey_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\msexchangeimc\parameters
Add Value NonRoutingExtensionDll - RegSZ - point to \\servername\connect\msexcimc\bin\imsext.dll

Create a New key below Hkey_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\msexchangeimc\parameters and call it Extensions
In Extensions add a value of OutboundAppend and place my text in it

This should apparantly work however I am a little nervous of the whole process, any suggestions for a smoother ride :)

Cheers

Well, I have done it couple of times and no problems. The worst that can happen is that the text is not appended. No possiblity for server crash or anything nasty like that.
All the Best.
kuria surrounding yourself with dwarfs does not make you a giant.

There is a Resource Kit tool that will allow you to do this. Below is the Technet articale I used to setup our dissclaimer

Hope this helps

PSS ID Number: Q262097
Article last modified on 07-15-2000

The information in this article applies to:

- Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SUMMARY
=======

Internet Mail Service Extension (Imsext.dll) has several functions. This article covers the append and prepend capabilities of this dynamic-link library (DLL). Message journaling is also a capability of Internet Mail Service Extension, but message journaling is not covered in this article. For additional information about message journaling, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q262122 XIMS: Internet Mail Service Extension Message Journaling

MORE INFORMATION
================

Installing Internet Mail Service Extension
------------------------------------------

To install Internet Mail Service Extension (Imsext.dll):

1. To copy the Internet Mail Service Extension to your server, do one of the following:

- Locate the Internet Mail Service Extension in the following folder:

Exchsrvr\Connect\Msexcimc\Bin

- Locate the Internet Mail Service Extension included in the BackOffice 4.5 Resource Kit.

2. Register Internet Mail Service Extension by typing the following at the command prompt:

regsvr32 imsext.dll

3. To enable Internet Mail Service Extension in Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 1 or later without losing routing table capability, you need to create a registry value:

NOTE: Microsoft recommends the following method to enable Internet Mail Service
Extension.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

a. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

b. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters

c. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: NonRoutingExtensionDll
Data Type: REG_SZ
String Value: The full path of the Internet Mail Service Extension utility DLL

You can also enable Internet Mail Service Extension in the Exchange Server Administrator program by opening the Internet Mail Service properties, clicking the Routing tab, and then selecting Internet Mail Service Extension as the custom routing program. IMPORTANT: Microsoft does not recommend this method. You will lose routing table capability.

4. Create an Extension registry key:

a. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters

b. On the Edit menu, click Add Key, and then type Extension (without the quotation marks).

c. Quit Registry Editor.

Inbound SMTP
------------

To add prepended text to the body of an inbound Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
(SMTP) message, create an InboundPrepend registry value:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters\Extension

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: InboundPrepend
String Value: The text that you want to prepend to incoming messages.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

To add appended text to the body of an inbound SMTP message, create an InboundAppend registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameters\Extension

3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value Name: InboundAppend
String Value: The text that you want to append to incoming messages.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

Outbound SMTP
-------------

To add prepended text to the body of an outbound SMTP message, create an OutboundPrepend registry value:

Value Name: OutboundPrepend
String Value: The text that you want to prepend to outgoing messages.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

To add appended text to the body of an outbound SMTP message, create an OutboundAppend registry value:

Value Name: OutboundAppend
String Value: The text that you want to append to outgoing messages.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

You must restart the Internet Mail Service for these changes to take effect. You must also restart the Internet Mail Service if you change the text string.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back