Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security accounts Manager init fail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar36

Programmer
Feb 9, 2003
US
When the server starts I get an info window that says Active Directory Services rebuild. Then I get an error window that says "Security Accounts Manager init failure. I have rebooted with F8 and run active directory restore and I get the same thing when I restart.What can I do to recover from this melt down????
Thanks
Robert

There should be an error code with the initialize error...what is it?

I am not at school at this time and I can not remember the exact error #. Will let you know when I get to school. This is my backup server and the problem started after a power outage this summer after changes shown below.
After the power outage On my backup server I had to logon using the old password. I then got the "security init fail". I booted in safe mode and uning NTDSUTIL I reset the backup server password to the new password. Did not help.
On my primary server.
I have a WIN2K3 server network running Win2K clients in DHCP AD mode. The system was running excellent. I was running out of IP addresses so I moved to a larger IP structure updating both servers. At the same time I changed the IP structure I also changed the Administrator password for the network on both servers and all workstations. They are now differnt. Before they were the same. Now I can no longer browse the network from the clients. I get an error "The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available." I can ping the server& router, I can access the router & connect to the internet, I can map a drive on the server from the workstation & I can add a network printer (as long as I provide the network address manually) but I can not browse the network from my network place. Using IE & inputing "\\servername" I can get a list of computers on the server.
I know something is wrong with AD but don't know how to fix it.
Any help you can give me will be most appreciated.
Robert Lapoynor ISD

Yeah, I thought it might be. You could have a corrupted AD database file. How many domain controllers do you have?

Go through the steps in this KB article:

If you get down to step 14 and it still doesn't work, read it VERY CAREFULLY. If you have other DCs do NOT continue. You should rebuild the box at that point.

Great input!!! Thanks. I knew that AD database had to be corrupt but was not sure how to recover it. Double star for you.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back