Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security 2,000 MDBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kincaco

Programmer
Jun 19, 2000
US
About 3 years ago we gave everyone in the company MS Access a few classes and turned them loose. 3 years later, all nightmares have been realized and now we are trying to get some control. In the next few months, we will be taking all MDBs back under IS control. We want to secure all these MDBs so that users can run them but not change the design of anything. But we also don't want to administer 2,000 MDWs.

I have gone through the Microsoft FAQ on Access Security. I can see how to secure the databases one at a time. I understand accounts, users, etc. But I would like to know how to use one MDW for multiple MDBs if that's possible. Or is there another way that makes more sense. We have the business divided up into about 20 department drives. I thought I would like to create one MDW per shared department drive since most of the MDBs are shared by a department. Some applications will deal with sensitive data that will require more security. But right now I'm just trying to get a plan for the big picture that will handle about 80% of the cases.

Can anyone recommend an article? Has anyone done anything like this before that will share their plan?

Thanks in advance,
Connie

I have done something similar to this. Yes you can use your mdw for as many mdb as you like. You just need to associate every single mdb with the mdw. And you need to do this for every userprofile for every machine, or do some alterations to the registry with the logon-script.
Feel free to email me for further details.

hhmoeller@image.dk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back