Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing the database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbviper

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi, i'm building a helpdesk database at my work so that if users encounter any problems they can access the database and report a fault. However i want to secure the database so that users must enter their own username and password before accessing the database. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi, I'm nearly finished with just such a database. If you'd like, I'd be happy to email or mail a copy to you. Ann

Hi annsolomon, if you could email me a copy it would be much appreciated. I had looked at using the Security wizard in Access but didnt want to risk messing it up.

If you get a chance to email it, please could you send it to cwbviper@hotmail.com

Thank you very much for your help.

:)

Other more simple way to do this is to capture the USERID() and store that info into you database field. That way you can see who logged the compliant from their computer. This way you wouldn't need to worry about handing out password and is still secure.

This is what I am using and hadn't has any issues with it. Also you can take it a step further and allow the user to his own trouble tickets based on that user's login ID.

:)WB

Thanks for the suggestion wabeg. Only one problem, i have absolutely no idea how to do it. Bit of an Access amateur. Thanks anyway though.

:)

Ann,

That database sounds interesting. Any chance you'll post it to a website?

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

cwb, database is on the way to you.

Jeremy, as I mentioned to cwb in my email, there's lots more that could be done with this database. It wasn't a company-assigned project (you know, where they authorize the time necessary to work on it). Rather, it's something I've put together in drips and drabs over a number of months. I've been teaching myself VBA over that same period of time and, as a result, there are a number of design points in the database that I would do differently now. The point I'm trying to make here is, although I was comfortable sending it to cwb so he can play with it and maybe get some ideas, I'm not very comfortable posting it as a fine example of a WO system. Maybe some day I'll get that good! Ann

hi ann
you never told me how it went with the screen resolution progrm
does it work good enough for you? "What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

Hi chrissie. I haven't been able to try it yet. I'm under a LOT of pressure to finish up the company 401(k) application. We should have had the data out to Merrill Lynch a week ago.

I saw that some folks did try it and let you know that they really like it. I also referred another post to the thread where you put the screen resolution info. Just as soon as I wrap up 401(k) and can breathe again, I'll try it out. Thanks again. I'll let you know. Ann

please keep breathing

we dont want you to die

LOL Christiaan Baes
Belgium
"What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

Ditto what chrissie1 says. I might need your help again. HAHAHA. Thanks for the database annsolomon.

Cheers

Hi there,

i'm a little late reading this thread. however, this solution is just what i need. will you please share the solution?

in advance, thank you so very much.
stellJess

Hi annsolomon, could you send me a copy of your database?
Whey you have a chance, please send it to LemesUSA@YAHOO.COM

Thanks very much.

if you want to go with GetUser() option let me know I can give you more info on how I used that to secure the database. This this option the user only see their records as it based on the user's login ID.

-WB

AnnSolomon, I've been looking for a database that does the same thing..can I please get a copy of this database tejanorey@hotmail.com Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Hey AnnSolomon, can I get a copy as well, would like to see how u designed it.

on_fire1111@yahoo.com
thanks " ahhh computers, how they made our lives much simpler ;) "

AnnSolomon,

May I also get a copy of your database?
Please send it to dvang@springsted.com

Thank you.

Dee

At present I'm creating a helpdesk application on the side with a knowledge base module included. With the knowledge base module, I store the answer to a problem as a link to be easily searched if that problem arises again. I also include a code bank of code modules I've written with the entire code. In the development business you want to reuse code as much as possible. I'm in the process of creating my web site to post such things on. These types of applications seem simple at first, but can get extremely complicated. But it does more than help desk stuff. I've created a messaging program to notify users of which applications to get out of the database for maintenanace, backup. I first run a class module to determine which users are using which databases and then use that to net send them a message to get out. I also automate backing up all the databases at one time through code, compact them and put them in a backup folder. I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this application. It's not finished but I should be posting it up in a week or two.

omega36, it sounds super! I can't wait to have a look. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing. Ann

Omega36 you got my attention. We are also in process of setting up a helpdesk application and looking at various way of doing it. Your idea looks good. If you don't mind can you please send me a copy of your database. Thanks in advance.

email: wbeg@ameri-debt.org

:)WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back