Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

securing my desktop and monitor (security question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared5494

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
US
Hello,
I have been looking forever for a cheap, but reliable solution to secure my desktop and monitor so i can leave it unattended at college. My monitor (viewsonic vp181b) already has a kensington security lock on it, so that wont be a problem. My desktop on the other hand (case is a lian-li PC-61), has no such lock. i was wanting to know if there are any products i could use to secure the case to something without heavy construction. like example a pci slot lock thing? If you want to see what my case looks like go here:
thanks in advance! (sorry about the long link)
-Jared

I take it you are using Win98 or some other OS that doesn't have c3 level security. Why don't you use a BIOS password, a screensaver password, and a logon password. Then set your screensaver to activate in about 5 minutes of idle time. That way access to your PC can only be done within five minutes of your leaving it.

Why wait 5 minutes? You can manually activate the screensaver right away.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Or on Windows NT, 2000, and XP, you can just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and click on "Lock Workstation" anytime you leave. It keeps everything running in the background too in case you're downloading, running as a server, etc. To unlock it, just put in the same password you use for windows logon. No setting up necessary...very useful...

Im sorry i must have wrote it wrong... im looking for a physical security device, i.e. to keep someoen from stealing my case out of my dorm room. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back