Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing an ASP Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyd

Technical User
Jul 14, 2000
NL
I am using asp to write details to an access database. If I enter then it allows me to download the database to my client machine. The permissions on the db are set to write only.

Anyone got any ideas how to stop this happening, and any other good security tips??

Thanks

Darren

Put the database on a different drive, or put it in a different directory outside of inetpub.

And, I've found it's a good idea to have your website on a different drive from the OS. Examining my logs last weekend I noticed someone trying to run ..\..\winnt\system32\cmd.exe. If it's on a different drive, it makes it tougher for them.

Chip H.

Chip,

Thanks for the reply, and I will keep it in mind for the future, but for what we are doing, we have an externally hosted web site, so all that is available to us is the inetpub directory.

Any other suggestions?

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back