Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing Access Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OracleVictim

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I'm not trying to be flip, but could getting security to work in Access be any more difficult? Ok, I've got that off of my chest....

I'm running Access 2003. And I don't need a boatload of security. My application will be accessed from a share drive in a fairly secure environment. The drive itself has limitted access. Primarily I'm trying to keep people from accidentally hammering anything. My users are few and they are screened.

I've read several things regarding this and have found it all to be very confusing. And I've found the security wizard very capable of rendering my application pretty much useless.....

Anyway, I've simply gone into my application and added a password to the admin account for force a login prompt... Well, this managed to force a login for every database I have running on my workstation (not just the one that I have open).... I added accounts for this one database and they appear in all of my applications. So I'm thinking all of these applications are sharing information from the same (system.MDW) file. That doesn't seem too cool.

I managed to create a new MDW file and thought I linked my database to that file.... But, no luck... Behavior is the same.....

I think at a minimum I need to able to create a "system.MDW" file for just my one database....

Any and all ideas will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

i wouldnt even bother with Access's security. Id build my own safeguards

"My God! It's full of stars...

Thanks, that is kind of where I was heading. I was thinking that I could create my own table of users and groups and then apply privs accordingly.... I can grab the username from the network so I don't really need to bother the use with a login screen.

But I don't want to go down that path if Access really doesn't have a good security situation and I'm doing it to simply take the easy way out....

But, honestly, I've never seen anything as messed up as this... At a minimum, the default behavior should be that security settings only apply to a single database. A seperate, shared, security file seems kind of loony.

Thanks again for you input.

OracleVictim,

Access security really isn't that hard once you understand it. Search the FAQ here - there are a number of very good step by step guides.

If you apply your own measures this should prevent accidental damage to your system, but it will certainly not be "secure".

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Thanks Ed. I think the key is "once you understand". I'm having a hard time understanding..... But I'm not going to give up just yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back