Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing a Wireless Access Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
What have others done to secure their wireless access point? As of right now I have done the basics, disabled broadcast SSSID and enabled 128bit WEP. This is for residential but I don't want just anyone to use my internet. Would you consider this secure enough? What other steps might I take to make a good secure solution? Mike Wills
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

mac filtering.. in other words, you configure the AP to only accept mac addresses that you specify. Removal of DHCP address assignment through the AP.. understanding that static IPs are a bit of a pain in the butt.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I will have to dig into that more. I tried it once and had problems, that might have been due to the other changes I made as well. :)

I will let you know my results. Mike Wills
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back