Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Securing a file SERVER on a home office LAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshriver

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
US
I have a Win2KAdv Server that I use as a data server/storage array - it runs MSSQL2K. Up to this point, I have used Norton Internet Security, but the 2006 version will not install on server operating systems. I do not need loads of functionality and don't want to drop the money on seat licenses I will never use. Can anyone make a recommendation? I thank you all in advance.
Andy

you can check out zonealarm it has a free edition that you can download am not to sure of the os in can instyall youll have to check it out but for the most part its a great free firewall you might also want to invest in a hardware firewall that might cost you aaround 80 bucks or so you can pick one up at best buyor any other comnputer store am using th linksys befsx41 it a router /firewall that will expand off your dsl or cable modem

All you should really need is a hardware firewall such as the Linksys or Netgear routers sold in consumer electronics stores, and then load a basic antivirus package on the server itself. The router will provide security for your entire network, which is an added bonus.

It's much better from a security standpoint to have a device that doesn't run Windows and probably doesn't have an x86 processor in it examining everything. That way if a Wintel buffer overflow hits it, it's just gibberish and doesn't do anything.

Dave Farquhar

Most of the AV software for servers cost arount $400. I'd love to know of one of the freebies that runs on a server.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valued Professional (MVP)

I thank you all for your input and recommendations. I have found that Trend Micro's freeware program, Sysclean, works relatively well on Win2KAdvSvr. Of course, the drawback is that you have to go out to TM's site to make sure your version & definitions are current. That is a lot less expensive than the alternative, as I have yet to find an inexpensive and/or basic antivirus package that will load and run on a Microsoft server platform.

Thanks again to all of you.

Andy

Thanks. I think I'll try it out.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back