Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

secured box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2002
US
I have recently started using more security on my box other than just a firewall and AV protection. I started using the security zones built into IE for the pages that are not multi browser friendly. All other pages I use either Mozilla, or Opera. Mozilla is the default dominate browser.

Under the security zones for the restricted sites I can't help but to wonder just how much more secure this helps for IE? I have this on high security, and have everything disabled with about 3200 sites listed. Do people consider this a extra boost for locking down Internet Explorer, or is the hype more of a false sense of security? I just don't see much posted for this subject. Just curious to rather doing all this lock down was worth it or not? This is the only zone area that I have messed around with. The other zones I never touched. I am also open to more suggestions too. I would also like some suggestions for IRC. I am already picky for whom I accept downloads from. But just curious if there are some added protections I can use?

For anti-trojan security I suggest a program that monitors your ports. Also a registry monitor program

Locking down IE by those methods seems a bit extreme in a controlled environment. Might be a good idea for a public computer (a lab computer or terminal computer), but a better set of rules would be regular preventive maintenence
AntiVirus updates and scans
Spyware Removals like Adaware and Spybot
Hijack This once a week or more
Checking on the status of the latest malware on news sites.
And a regular backup solution.
If you follow those generalized rules, you should be ok. If you visit sites that potentially contain malware or serve excessive adds, you might want to step up the security some, but just make sure you keep track of who is in your Trusted Zone.
Those are my recommendations. Any others?

Sorry for such a long delay in responce. I was on Christmas Vacation.

"crow053 (TechnicalUser) Dec 22, 2003
For anti-trojan security I suggest a program that monitors your ports. Also a registry monitor program"

Can you recommend one?

I had noticed that some of the anti-virus apps do monitor for trojans etc. I had planned to switch to either kasper or Panda. So far those two seem to be my best bet for added protection. Presently I am using Norton.

"Xemus (MIS) Dec 22, 2003
Locking down IE by those methods seems a bit extreme in a controlled environment. Might be a good idea for a public computer (a lab computer or terminal computer), but a better set of rules would be regular preventive maintenence
AntiVirus updates and scans
Spyware Removals like Adaware and Spybot
Hijack This once a week or more"

I use all of those apps once a week, and every day 24/7 for the AV. I have teens using my computer, they seem to target Internet Explorer when selecting a browser. My lockdown is because I read. I go to the extream when it comes to news. I also go to game sites. I don't visit malware sites. Most of the lockdown is done to ads and pages that contain either certain content, or loves popups. Or that I know contains spyware programs or downloads that are not friendly.

"Checking on the status of the latest malware on news sites."

Where do you read up on this?

"And a regular backup solution.
If you follow those generalized rules, you should be ok. If you visit sites that potentially contain malware or serve excessive adds, you might want to step up the security some, but just make sure you keep track of who is in your Trusted Zone.
Those are my recommendations. Any others?"

I don't know who is in my trusted zone. I just locked down
The non trusted, or restricted zone. I thought this was more important. I didn't want to seem too paranoid. LOL

Some good resources for malware/spyware are:
- good for trojans and viruses
- huge forums for spyware

You have teens using your box, is this a public comp, or yours that you let others use? There are software programs that will totally lock it down (like Deepfreeze) but on a personal box that might not be needed. A good lecture to the users is a good way to start. =>

teens, two of them. I stay with them when they are on it. But if you know anything about teens like I do. You soon find out that it only takes 1 second for them to mess up two years of hard work. Some of the sites I block like Yahoo messenger, and MSN messenger download site is so they can't download that crap and run it on MY pc. They can't download while on IRC chat either. I have two computers. I depend on the locked down one for school. My other box has Linux on it. They don't want to play on it. (I wonder why LOL)

Thanks for the websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back