Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure Interent Tunnel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo81

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
AU
Ok the situation is, that I work for this company that sells quoting software to a specific small business industry.... I am trying to work out a way of the clients connecting to thier server in thier office's from a notebook computer or a desktop computer not situated in the same building (or even state/country) over the internet, most of the server's are genrally just a windows 98 workgroup based network using windows 98 workstations, but there is some sites with a dedicated Novell 4/5 or NT 4 servers. One option we have thought of but don't know too much about is using VPN. We have also looked at PC Anywhere v10 but looks to be too unsecure. I was just wanting some segestions on what I can do to acomplish this task?

Thanks
Matt
AQQ

I am taking a security course
we just reviewed a few problems....
PCanywhere is quite bad as far as security concerns
check that link I got from John Hoke earlier

they have many white papers and link in answer to your VPN quest

Henry

Hi,

The main two VPN protocols are IPSec which is integral to IPv6 and PPTP which is M$ proprietary.

A good reference on IPSec is at --> . Although M$ themselves don't appear to have any IPSec based solutions released, PGP have a M$ based offering - .

For PPTP there is an open source implementation available from .

Hope this helps

An other method could be to use PCanywhere together with PGPNet which establishes a secure connection.

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

There are actually only a few genereally available things you can do in this situation. One of them is to use a protocol called SSH. It allows you to create secure channels across the internet. Their are many commercial versions out their and constant security reviews ( The two major server and client products are, and A free version is available at and (to use these will require a good deal of work)

SSH allows you to take normal TCP/IP traffic, Http, Telnet, Ftp and encrypt that data. It can travel accross the Internet with reasonable security.

SSH has the advantage over IPSec in that IPSec requires a completely new TCP/IP stack. SSH can run on top of any existing TCP/IP stack.

This would require that you have a dedicated SSH server someplace on your network. Although I think you might be able to find SSH hosting someplace.

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back