Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure Digital Card reader installs on XP but won't read data

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDennis

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
I have been struggling to install a simple USB 1.1 Integral Secure Digital card reader.
The reader installs OK on XP but I am unable to read data -the light flashes but XP does not seem to be able to make any sense of the data and I get a message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
The BIOS is set for USB 1.1+2 and I have tried disabling the XP firewall and the Norton Virus checker without any change.
This machine is dual boot with Windows 2000 and I get exactly the same result on W2K. The other USB devices (printers and a Sandisk compact flash reader work fine on both systems)
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the reader without any change.Device Manager says all is OK.

However if I install the reader on a separate Windows 2000 machine the reader installs OK using the windows drivers and I can read data without difficulty. The BIOS on this machine is set for "Legacy USB"

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

John

Disconnect all other USB devices, and then try again.

Thanks Ski, tried disconnecting all other USB devices but no success. Have also checked with MB docs and 1.1 is available on all sockets. However I have just discovered that although XP will not recognise an SD card used in my Palm (32MB) or Canon 750 camera (512MB), giving the error report in my previous message; it opens the drive window immediately if the blank card supplied with the camera (32MB) is inserted. Presumably this is unformatted as there are no subdirectories shown. How odd!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back