Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secure a small network

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I will be helping someone who has a client that has finally admitted he needs his office computers secured due to numerous problems with malware. He is running Windows 2003 Small Business Server however all the desktops (about 10) are running XP Home (I know, but he couldn't be convinced to spend extra on Pro). As far as I know at the moment, all clients are running Norton Antivirus. The office is online through a business DSL link. I'm not sure if they're using the built-in Exchange server or it they all have individual POP accounts with their ISP.

Constraints:
1. It's highly unlikely there will be any budget for new software or hardware (like a firewall).
2. It's a small office and the end users are barely computer literate, so switching primary browsers to FireFox is probably also going to be out of the question.

Initial Plans:
1. Make sure all users are not running under administrative accounts.
2. Make sure all Updates are applied, including SP2.
3. Install the MVPS Hosts file.
4. Install IE-SPYADS.
5. We may try to use Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal firewall instead of XP's.
6. Install MS Anti-Spyware
7. Install Ad-Aware (I know about the blot on their reputation, however in this case at least, I feel it's more user friendly than SpyBot and I'm hoping they've learned from their mistake by now.)
8. Cut IE History to 1 day and temporary file storage to a minumum.

Any other suggestions for tightening up an XP Home machine? Since I can't join the domain, I'm not aware that I can do much with policies, etc.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

I'd add SpywareBlaster.

Then install HijackThis on all the computers, and run it periodically. HijackThis isn't subject to the false positives / false negatives that AdAware and MSAS are.

Learn to interpret the HijackThis log, after you do a few you'll know it by heart.

Cheers,

Chuck
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.

We use HJT regularly, however, that is definitely not something we want the end users touching. (Remember, computer illiterate and running under reduced priviledges. Unless we can talk them into a periodic maintenance contract, that will only get run when diagnosing a future problem.)

SpywareBlaster is definitely a possibility.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

On second look, SpywareBlaster is not free for business use. :-( If you think corporate IT depts are tough to squeeze a nickel out of, try small town small businesses.

[sub]Jeff

Lock down internet explorer. Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> and on the Security level for internet options, lock down what isn't needed.

Obviously, taking out the ability to run ActiveX controls, userdata persistence, Java and Javascript will affect some websites, but the best settings to use will only be known when you know the websites that they use and tweak the settings appropriately.
You can also disable downloading of files etc from within this dialog box. If there is no business need for it, take it out.

Check that Norton antivirus LiveUpdate is set to automatically update and that this is working (I found on one system the auto update settings weren't working, this fixed when I installed XP SP2).

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back