Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Section Limit in Crystal Reports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpierce

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
Does anyone know for sure if there is a limit to the number of sections a report can have? What is that limit? Is there a similar limitation to the number of subreports a report can have?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback in this area.

Kind Regards
Mary Pierce

Don't know the exact number, but I have seen over 25 of each. Were you looking for more? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Yes, I have a report with 26 sections and each section has a single subreport in it. The report works as long as I don't put any more than 16 subreports in it. As soon as I add a 17th subreport I get an "index out of range" error.

As I understand it the section codes are as follows:
ALL SECTIONS = 0
PAGE HEADER = 2000
PAGE FOOTER = 7000
REPORT HEADER = 1000
REPORT FOOTER = 8000
GROUP HEADER = 3000
GROUP FOOTER = 5000
DETAIL = 4000

So if I have 26 detail sections their indexes should start at 4000 and go all the way to 4975 in increments of 25, which would theoretically allow for up to 40 sections and 40 sub reports. My 16th subreport is index 4400 but if I add a 17th sub report it craps out on me and I cannot figure it out. If my theory is right is should work...

shouldn't it?

Where do you see these indexes?
Are you hex editing the rpt file?

While I only think I have actually run accross this many subreports once, I am pretty sure that you can go past 17. If that were the limit I think we would know about it.

There are some internal limits on file size and you might be running into those if the subreports are very large and complex. I don't have that quantified. I have also read about an internal limit that is essentially the max number of times that you can modify a report. But it seems that you can delete the subreport and be fine again, so that can't be affecting you. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back