Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary IDE Controller not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2001
AU
I have a Pavilion 8428 running Windows ME.
I installed a 2nd Hard Drive on the Primary IDE controller with no issues. On reboot the CDROM TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202 and the CDROM HP CD-Writer+ 8100 could not be accessed. I checked the Devices and the Secondary IDE controller is no longer listed i.e IRQ 15 is now not listed. I unplugged the secondary IDE cable rebooted, then plugged it back in and rebooted again. This brought back the Secondary IDE controller temporarily i.e until next reboot. Any suggestions on how to get this IDE back permanently would be appreciated. Is there any chance that this may be caused by a weakening battery? When I went into the BIOS setup I noticed that the description for the CDROMs has become cryptic i.e Hewlett Packard was shown as Letpard...

Check the cables. You can get this when they are partially disconnected. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I have since used another IDE cable withe same results which was given to me. I suppose its possible that the cable is damaged. I'll have to get another just in case.

Regards.

try removing the secondary ide controller from device manager then restart your machine it will reload and should solve your prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back