Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajstrauss

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
ZA
Hi there

I am trying to get a system up and running using Win98SE on an EPOX 3BXA Motherboard. Everything seems fine except for the "Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)" problem listed in device manager. I have tried various drivers and updates. The registry does not contain the NoIDE value.

I am 100% sure that the mobo is fine, since I have been using it till last week.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

This may be redundant to what you stated but here goes.
Make sure the latest drivers are used.
Scan for viruses.
It is possible the controller is going bad.
Is there a CDROM and HDD on it or just CDROMS? If no HDD is present then disable UDMA for the secondary IDE in the BIOS.

Do any of those help? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hi butchrecon

Same drivers I used on that motherboard previously.
New installation - no viruses.
Controller worked fine up to now.
Disabling UDMA did not help.

Any other suggestions?

PS. The mobo uses an Intel 440BX chipset

Have you tried removing the Enum key from the registry ? this will force windows to rescan for ALL hardware devices.

None of the above has helped. I tried to install Windows95 and got it working halfway. "The Secondary IDE" in Device Manager is happy but the CD-ROM connected to it is not picked up in Windows (the BIOS does pick it up during bootup).

Anyone with any more suggestions?

OK All

You can relax now, the problem was solved by a stroke of luck. I started swapping around hard drives and the CD-ROM changing Master and Slave etc. The pins on the back of the CD-ROM drive for setting it to slave were bent and didn't make proper contact. I bent them back, replaced the jumper and all was well.

Thanx for all the help anyway!!

Ahh, yes, the finest troubleshooting tool known to Mankind: The Eyeball Mark I, by Darwin Technologies, a division of Jaweh Systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back