Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary hdd not appearing. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyukie

Technical User
Jan 6, 2005
GB
I have two seagate 80gb hdd's, one for Windox XP and program files and the other for my photos videos music etc. I though it was time to format the OS one as it was getting quite clogged, so I did. When it had finished the other drive wasn't showing in my computer.
It shows up in the bios and I checked Storage Manager and stuff and the name shows up there, and had a restore program that showed the files on the drive but whenever I tried to copy them across to the working drive it wouldn't work as the file would be empty.
Any ideas?

Shut down the computer, disconnect the storage drive, restart, shut down again, reconnect the storage drive, and restart.

I tried that and it didn't work. Could it be a partition problem?

Did you format the OS drive as Fat32, and the secondary drive is NTFS? What does Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management show?

The OS drive is NTFS, which I think it was before I formatted, but not 100%.

Clicking Drive C brings up two drives.

Disk 0 (Presuming OS Drive) says; Basic, 76.68gb, Online. Ntfs Healthy (System).
Disk 1 (The other I guess) says; Basic, 74.53gb, Online. Unallocated.

One way to get it working again-
If you have access to another computer that uses the NTFS file system, then install the storage drive in it as Slave, burn all files you want to save to CD's or DVD's, reinstall the drive in your system, follow the instructions at the following link to initialize the drive, and save the files back onto it from the CD's/DVD's:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back