Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary HDD failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeatSaber

MIS
May 16, 2001
US
I did a search for a problem like this, and didn't find anything, so if this is a known issue that's been dealt with before, I'm sorry I missed any previous posts. Here goes...

I have 2 identical Western Digital 500 GB SATA drives installed in my system, one split into 2 partitions (C:,D:), and one with one partition (E:). Lately, I've experienced random lockups which I've traced to my secondary (E:) drive, and now my computer will not even boot into Windows with the drive connected. The BIOS detects the drive, but when Windows loads I get the Windows 7 logo, it "throbs" for a minute or so, and then locks up. I cannot even boot into safe mode or startup repair mode. I've scanned the disk for errors, with Windows error-checking utility (when I could boot with the drive connected), WD's Data LifeGuard, and Spinrite 6, all report there is nothing wrong with the disk itself. I've connected it using different SATA cables, and connected it to different ports on the motherboard. Could the drive be dying in a way the diagnostic progs I've used aren't detecting? Is there another program I should try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I will post any other info you might need to help me figure this out...

I can't imagine that the manufacturer's own utility wouldn't detect problmes/failure or the other utilities either. Have you tried the drive in a different computer if possible?

Did you do a simple CHKDSK to straighten out the file system??

Can you delete the partition and start over with a formatted drive and see if it does the same thing??

Obviously get your data off before doing that, but at this point, I hope you would have already done that given the scary symptoms.

have you replaced cable and reseated or switched the power plug, and then tried to boot again...

as mentioned, it is strange that the drive diags would not pick up any problem but Windows would...

CHKDSK would find errors in the Filesystem structure as well as some damaged clusters, so running it may be the ticket, but if you cannot boot, then HotPlugging may be what you need to do...

BUT: Make sure that the Mainboard supports HotPlugging and that you are using a SATA power plug with the 3.3v rail (Orange colored wire), other wise you may damage the drive or the mainboard...

you could also DL a WinPE (based on VISTA not on XP*) and boot from it, then run CHKDSK from that LiveCD...

*XP uses NTFS version 5.1, where as Win7 uses another version, though downward compatible, upwards may encounter problems and may render the FS unusable...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

As Goombawaho suggested, before doing anything else with this drive, make sure any important data on it is backed up.

I'd suggest completely wiping it, and then see if Windows will behave well booting up with this unpartitioned secondary drive attached. Then use Windows Disk Management to partition and format it.

The other thing worth checking is our old favourite the PSU. It is just possible one or more of the voltage rails is starting to sag a bit with age. Temporarily replace with a known good PSU of equal or greater Wattage.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks for the replies.

I know it's not the cable, power connector, or power supply. I've used known good cables, and connectors, and I've connected other known good drives in its place to rule out the PSU. I've tried hotplugging, but Windows locks up as soon as the drive is connected, forcing a hard shutdown. I will try it in another computer as soon as my roommate comes home. Wiping it will be a last resort. I was using this drive for file storage, and though there's nothing vital on the drive, there is a lot of data that isn't backed up.

It is quite possible a file is damaged in the file system and that is prohibiting a good bootup. I think this is typically the init file.

Some malware will use this file and corrupt your system.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You might try a repair install and see if that works.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

OK, I connected the drive in my roommate's computer, and it booted up and recognized the drive just fine. Ran CHKDSK on it while it was in there, and no errors were found. I'm now typing this on MY computer, with the drive installed...booted fine and reads the drive. I honestly don't know what could be the problem. SATA controller? My SATA ports are a little loose from wear-and-tear, but the pins are straight and intact. Has there been a case where a port problem made a drive unreadable, and that caused to computer to lock up or freeze during boot?

I am gonna say its a bad drive....if its locking up like you described then nothing you do will work

RMA the drive if its with in the warranty period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back