Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjfusion

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2006
US
Greetings,

I would like to setup a secondary DNS for our internal network in case our primary DC/DNS goes down.

The primary server is Windows 2003 Server standard running Active Directory and DNS. Its currently our only DNS server on the network. I also have a second Windows 2003 Server that takes care of mainly mail with Notes Domino. I'd like to set that up as a secondary DNS in case our first server dies. Is there a way to get them to share records, mainly for local computers, printers etc? Any information would be helpful!

C

-CJ

If the server is not going to be a domain controller as well then You Can setup DNS server with a secondary DNS Zone. This would be a replica of the DNS hosted by your current DC. It would not be authoritative for that Zone so would not be able to handle updates but would handle name resolution requests. This would help with load blanacing and failover in case of failure. The only thing I would say though is that if DC was to fail having another DNS server would not allow authentication to take place. If you were going to put in another server I would suggest making it a DC and using an active directory integrated DNS Infrastructure.

If the server is not going to be a domain controller as well then You Can setup DNS server with a secondary DNS Zone. This would be a replica of the DNS hosted by your current DC. It would not be authoritative for that Zone so would not be able to handle updates but would handle name resolution requests. This would help with load blanacing and failover in case of failure. The only thing I would say though is that if DC was to fail having another DNS server would not allow authentication to take place. If you were going to put in another server I would suggest making it a DC and using an active directory integrated DNS Infrastructure.

Hi Tom,

Can you explain or tell me where I can get some information on putting in another DC? This is a relatively simple network, 50 users connected via IPSec VPN and LAN. All DNS goes through this one server for the time being. Any ideas?

CJ

-CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back