Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary DNS server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

donutman

Programmer
Dec 20, 2002
US
Can I use a member server as a DNS server that will forward all 1st to the internet DNS server, but will otherwise forward 1st to my local DNS server?
I know this sounds like a strange request, but I restrict internet access to only a select few workstations by NOT having a forwarder on my local DNS server. Then at the workstation level I hard code the webs DNS server as the 1st DNS server and the secondary is set to the local. However, this causes very slow logons and reversing the order prevents web access. So I was hoping to find a work around. I have lots of W98 boxes so group policy isn't workable.
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers and user-defined functions are an axis of evil![/red]
[green]Life's uncertain...eat dessert first...www.deerfieldbakery.com[/green]

If you only want to give a few workstations access to the internet you could always assign them static IP's. Keep forwarders setup on your primary DNS server, tell DHCP to only lease IP's and Local DNS server IP, dont lease the gateway IP to DHCP clients. The few work stations you want to have internet access assign the IP statically with the gateway IP + local DNS IP.

That would normally work, but in my situation the internet DNS server is down-wind from my gateway as is the other two locations in my intra-net. So all workstations need the gateway.
I could use the static ip idea (or reserved ips) and put an access table in the firewall router, but I was looking for a simpler alternative (without a table of ips to maintain). I was hoping that I could give the privileged workstations a special DNS server to poll.
-Karl

What about ISA or some sort of proxy server to deny access? Or use a firewall or router to block a range of IP's. Assign reversed IP's via DHCP to the clients you want to have access, make sure the IPs are near the end or start of the range. On the router or firewall allow these IP's to pass through any other IP's outside the range block.

The block of IPs sounds good. It's a little messy because I have 4 subnets (which were poorly...choosen so a mask can't help), but that's the best idea so far.
I don't know about ISA or proxy servers. Never used them. How do they work or help in this situation?
-Karl

The IP block sounds the easiest (and least expensive...ISA!!!). Thanks :)
-Karl

FaiTHLeSS, would this work? Instead of having just a secondary DNS server, I could make that box a DC and a DNS server (this one with a forwarder to the internet DNS server). Then the few workstations that need internet access could authenticate and get access from the same IP. I would just hard code the DNS server at the workstations.
Or would this fail because the DNS servers would "share" info about internet name resolution? I do want them to share info about the intra-net. I obviously don't know enough about how this stuff works behind the scenes.
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]

If its not the replicating with any other DC then it would work, you could just create a new domain for that small network.You would have to create a trust between the domains so you are still able to share resources.

Another way todo it could be to create an OU in the current domain you have to push out an logon script that changes the proxy settings in IE. If you change the machines you dont want to have access to the internet to some invalid proxy setting they wont be able to access the internet. I dont know the code todo it you would have to look it up.

I didn't understand your 1st paragraph. If the 2nd DC is in the same domain, will it work?
I have lots of W98 boxes so I don't think the OU idea will work?
-Karl

[red] Cursors, triggers, user-defined functions and dynamic SQL are an axis of evil![/red]

Hello,

I've been out of the networkworking world for a while and unsure if this is the correct forum to ask for assistance, however, need help with windows 2000 server configuring as a webhost for new employer who wants to tap into my is knowledge of computers. I've followed all of microsoft's troubleshooting and configuring static ip for the host site. but am unable to pull up web page. gives error message page cannot be displayed. I can ping the static ip address, i have configured for the box. But any and all assistance is tremendously appreciated.

Elaborate

elaborate: i suggest you start a new post, but sounds like a misconfiguration in IIS or DNS, also give more info on your setup.

donutman: If the servers where to replicate with each other and both are running AD zones then they would copy over to each, but thinking about it im not sure if it would copy all the DNS settings for the server. Give it a try and see if it works.

FaiTHLeSS, it appears to work! I installed DNS on a "backup" domain controller. Removed the dot forward lookup zone and installed a forwarder to the internet DNS server. So now I can just put a static DNS entry into those workstations with access rights to the internet. Thanks again for your help.
-Karl

Oh darn. The primary DNS learns from the other DNS. [sad]
-Karl

Yeah i thought it might do that. If you cant afford something like ISA you could look at winproxy:

Or as said before try using your firewall/router to block out the port range that you dont want to have access to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back