Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

second sql server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2001
US
I have just added a second sql server to my domain. I know have two sql servers. No one can see the second sql server although they can see the second sever for file shares etc.

What needs to be done for everyone to see the second sql server using items like crystal.

Thanks in advance
Joe

Define "no one can see". Can you access the second SQL Server from Query Analyzer by using IP address instead of server's name?

------
"There's a man... He's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is Homer."
(Jack O'Neill, Stargate)
[banghead]

Thanks Vongrunt... I can see the server if I specify the server name and sql server name (which happens to be the same) and then in items like crystal; I can see the server. However just the sql name does not seem to register with crystal or msquery.

Thanks

I guess the better question is how do you add a second SQL server. I installed the physical server. I installed the SQL2000 on the second server. I registered the server in Active Directory.

However when I call the computer from utilities by the name of the sql instance (companya) it is not found. If I call it by domaina\companya it is found.

What should I change???

Nothing. When you have a named instance, you have to use the servername\instancename. If it is a default instance, you can use just the servername.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back